What do you have to do to obtain temporary protection in Belgium?

You fled from Ukraine to Belgium. You are welcome in Antwerp.

1. Apply for a certificate of temporary protection in Brussels

Register at the registration centre in Brussels. You can book an appointment online. For more information, please visit the website of the Immigration Office.

For more information on the temporary protection status, please visit the website of the Immigration Office.

2. Apply for your residence card A in Antwerp

Have you received your certificate of temporary protection?
Then you can apply for a residence card A.

What is the procedure?

  1. Apply for the card via this form. Add your certificate of temporary protection.
  2. The City of Antwerp will process your application.
  3. The City of Antwerp will give you an appointment for the application of your residence card A.
  4. In the meantime, you will receive a temporary residence document: an annex 15.

With a temporary protection certificate:

  • you can join a health insurance fund of your choice
  • you are entitled to enhanced reimbursements
  • you can apply for a basic banking service

With the temporary residence document annex 15:

  • you are allowed to work in Belgium
  • you can receive (financial) support (if you need it)
  • your children are entitled to a Groeipakket (child benefits)
  • you can take part in the civic integration programme

Please note: an annex 15 does not always mean you have a national registration number. For a lot of services, a national registration number is a requirement.
If you need advice, please contact the information point for residence and legal status at Atlas, integratie & inburgering Antwerpen.

Your residence card A is valid until 4th March 2024.

Do you want to know more about life in Antwerp?

Do you have any questions about working and studying in Belgium? Would you like to learn Dutch? Do you not know where you can receive medical or psychological support? Are you looking for a school for your child? Do you have any questions regarding your residence documents?

Come to Atlas! You will receive an answer to your questions in a language you understand. This way, we will help you to get started in Antwerp.

Are you interested? Make an appointment with a guidance counsellor and receive information about the civic integration programme.

Any questions?

  • You can find more information for Ukrainian people on the website of the Belgian federal government.
  • Call the call centre of the federal government on the number 02 488 88 88 (every day between 9:00 and 17:00)